Trump administration appointees are now pushing a plan to change the way Davis-Bacon rates are calculated, shifting from the current survey to Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Wage Data. In a second term, Trump appointees could immediately impose this change without an act of Congress.
Prevailing Wage Rage (Current rate)
BLS Highway Rate
(Trump admin rate)
Wages and Benefits Difference
Joe Biden will aggressively enforce prevailing wage laws and ensure that we are not short-changed of our hard-earned pay.
- Biden is committed to protecting prevailing wages on all federal construction, so that pay and benefits for construction workers are not undermined by irresponsible contractors and unskilled workers.
- Biden will enforce and protect the Davis-Bacon Act and he will make sure that the officials he appoints will keep labor standards high on public construction projects.
- He plans to invest in communities by widely applying and strictly enforcing prevailing wages and shares LIUNA’s belief that the prevailing wage is an essential mechanism for securing middle class jobs.
Joe Biden will punish employers who violate labor laws, participate in wage theft, or misclassify employees as independent contractors.
- Biden will build on efforts by the Obama-Biden Administration to dramatically reduce worker misclassification, a practice which non-union contractors use to lower pay and standards on construction job sites.
- He will fund a dramatic increase in the number of labor enforcement investigators to launch a large-scale anti-misclassification effort.
- Biden will implement a federal debarment policy for all employers who illegally oppose unions.
Joe Biden will ensure that all workers are treated with dignity and receive the pay, benefits and workplace protections they deserve.
- Biden will restore the Obama-Biden Administration’s Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces executive order, which Trump revoked, requiring employers’ compliance with labor and employment laws be taken into account in determining whether they are sufficiently responsible to be entrusted with federal contracts.
- Biden will create a working group, which will include representatives from labor, to deliver a plan to dramatically increase union density and address economic inequality within his first 100 days in office.
- He will also expand protections for all workers who report labor violations.